Saffron Walden Nursery School has been providing high quality “discovery based play” education for our community since 1966. We believe that for children play is the equivalent of “real-work”, it is the business of childhood which we nurture through our child-centred planning. Our strong outdoors ethos is based on Forest School Principles; we encourage our children to learn through the natural environment, whatever the weather, through free flow access to our gardens.
The Nursery School is run, alongside the Management Committee, by our Manager who is a qualified Primary and Early Years Teacher. She holds a wealth of experience in education and was one of the founding members of the first purely outdoors preschool in England. We pride ourselves on our highly qualified, experienced staff to ensure children receive the best possible care and education.
The nursery can accept up to 40 children per session in our two rooms; “The Den” (Pre-school Room) and “The Cubby” (Toddler Room).
- A warm, friendly and homely environment.
- Strong outdoors ethos supported by free-flow access to the outdoors.
- An open-ended, discovery play-based, child-centred curriculum following the EYFS.
- Close links with the Children’s Centre, Community Nursery Nurse and Health Visiting team.
- Individual-child planning to ensure each child is supported to reach their full potential.
- Close links with all of our feeder schools, providing excellent transition.
- Good staff: children ratios.
- Highly Qualified, experienced staff.
- A flexible offer for two, three and four year old government funding.
More… Read about our staff
Next: Support Us